A fluffy moist sponge with a sweet coconut topping, this is a Danish Dreamcake perfect for summer… actually it’s not very seasonal at all, which means it’s perfect for any day of the year as an afternoon coffee or tea cake. Strangely enough I’ve never come across this cake anywhere else but in Denmark where it is more or less a staple cake recipe. Does it exists in some form in other countries under other names I wonder?
200 g of sugar
250 g of flour
3 tsp of baking powder
1 tsp of vanilla sugar
50 g of butter
2 dl of creme fraiche 18%
125 g of butter
100 g of desiccated coconut
200 g of dark muscovado sugar
- Preheat an oven to 200 degrees celsius.
- Melt butter.
- Beat sugar and eggs to a frothy mixture.
- Mix baking powder, vanilla and flour in little by little.
- Then mix in creme fraiche and the melted butter.
- Pour the mix into a buttered pan and bake in the middle rack for about 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile prepare the coconut topping by melting and mixing butter, desiccated coconut and muscovado sugar on medium heat.
- Once the cake has baked for 20 minutes and lightly golden on top, pour the coconut topping onto it and bake for anouther 5-10 minutes at 220 degrees celsius.
Tip: You should probably use a baking pan with a bit of height to it as the coconut topping will start to bubble in the oven and might well spill out of the pan. And trust me, the last thing you want is burnt sugar in your oven.