The appletree in my garden has just had its harvest season and as a result there’s a wheelbarrow full of apples in the backyard, that I’m frankly getting sick of. Looking for ways to use the apples, I set about making these healthy and easy apple chips.
2-3 apples (for one tray)
- Set your oven to 100 degrees celsius
- Fill a bowl with cold water and about 1-2 tbsp of lemon juice. This is to stop the apples getting brown.
- Cut the apples down the equator and slice them thinly, either with a mandoline slicer or a knife. As you go, put the slices in the waterbowl.
- Line a baking tray with baking parchment. Dry the appleslices thoroughly and arrange them on the baking tray. Sprinkle some cinnamon and let them bake in the oven for about 1½ hours.
- Flip the apple slices and let them bake for a further 30 minutes.
- Turn off the oven but leave the tray inside for an additional 30-60 minutes. Let them cool and before you know it, you’ll be eating tasty and healthy apple snacks.
Note: If you want several trays, remember to switch them around every half an hour or so.